Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Phone call questions of the weird and fabulous

Oh boy.  A lady called for advice last night.  Apparently, she had been discharged from the ER some few hours before she made this call.  Her blood sugar was very high, so she had come in and been "treated and streeted" as they say.  She had called b/c she had just checked her blood sugar at 7:15pm and it was in the 500's.  I asked if she had any insulin to take, and she said she hadn't filled the Rx yet.  I asked if she had any other meds she could take.  She had glucophage.  I told her to take that and recheck her sugar in 1 hr.  If it hadn't come down by then, then she should return to the ER.  She then said, "Oh, I figured out the problem I think."  I asked her what it was.  She said, "Well, the clock on my Blood Glucose Meter is wrong.  It says it's now 9:30pm, and it's only 7:30pm.  That's got to be what messed up my reading."  ..........  Um, yeah, okay.  She then said, "It's adding what my sugar will be at 9:30 to what it is now at 7:30, which has made it read really high."  Oooooookay.  I guess she thought the machine was psychic or something.  I told her to just come back in.  Jeez, she didn't while I was still on shift.  I hate to think what must've become of her...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I screen all of the comments that come in to be sure that they aren't just spam. :)