Monday, November 22, 2010

Wow, just wow.

Every now and then you get a little jaw dropper moment you know?  Well, I got told about a new pt I had to go see, which was a 2 year old little boy.  Apparently his mom had been drying her hair and set the dryer down, which of course the kid grabbed.  So, 1st and 2nd degree burns to right hand.  I grab the chart and head for the room.

Upon entering, I see 2 preteens (obviously sisters) standing by one wall, a 30ish woman sitting on the stretcher/bed, and then the little boy.  I introduced myself and then looked toward the 30ish woman and said, "So mom, what happened?"  And that was when one of the preteen girls said, "Well, I was drying my hair and my boy grabbed the hot end of the dryer right after I had set it down."   ..................   Well, I was floored mentally, but kept up with the assessment of the child.  When I left the room, I looked up the stats on that family in the old chart.  The "mom" is 12 years old!  The boy is 2!  Couldn't help but wonder about the circumstances surrounding that poor child's conception....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I screen all of the comments that come in to be sure that they aren't just spam. :)